As I mentioned in my last post, we’ve been in project mode lately. Randy and I have a long list of boat chores and projects we are working on to get Blue Turtle into shape for our big Dry Tortugas/Keys trip at the end of June. As many of you know, Randy proposed to me last year in the Dry Tortugas and we are getting married on June 25th this year. The day after the wedding, we are heading to the Dry Tortugas along with Johnny (Randy’s dad) & April on their boat, Sea Crazy, along with Randy’s sister, Tammy, her husband Scott and their 2 boys. We are excited about making this trip with his family and are looking forward to spending a couple weeks in the Keys.
So, enough about our upcoming plans, we are in work-mode. Remember that post about our v-birth makeover where we stripped all the old wallpaper and painted it? Well we were so pleased with how it came out that we decided to do the same with our aft cabin bedroom. This cabin is a bit larger than the v-birth and took a couple days to complete. I spent a day and a half stripping the old, stained wallpaper off with a steamer. Once the wallpaper was off, we applied a coat of Kilz primer so the paint would adhere to the gluey surface that the wallpaper left behind. After 2 coats of paint, it looked great! I also gave our bathroom a new coat of paint — a lovely shade of blue. When doing a project like this, we had to remove almost everything from the room. Since we had taken the room apart, we decided to thoroughly clean everything including the inside and outside of all port hole windows. We painted all the curtain rods and hardware with a silver finish (to get rid of the ugly rust stains) and added fresh new navy curtains (which are actually valances). We are very pleased with how nice everything came out. I think we’ll tackle the main salon next!